Friday, May 6, 2011

The Post Parade, A Lesson Painting, Part II ~~ Kimberly Kelly Santini


ABOVE, DETAIL FROM "The Post Parade," 5" x 14", depicting the post parade at Saratoga Springs Racetrack on a sunny summer day, done in Golden Open Acrylics on an Ampersand panel, priced at $379 (scroll down to see the finished painting in it's entirety).

Interested in adding "The Post Parade" to your collection?Then by all means, please email me and we'll make it happen!

Yesterday you got to see the beginning stages of the painting - today I'll take you through to the final brushstrokes.

The changes may seem trivial, but these final three views include numerous tweaks and adjustments to the riders' bodies, the horses' legs, the rail, the dirt, and adding other sorts of details that make the painting sing.

And, believe it or not, there was more time invested in studying the piece and working these out than there was in getting to today's starting point!


ABOVE: "The Post Parade," finished!!

Thanks for sharing my artwork with your friends and family, and here's to a safe trip for all!
Kim


My Grandfather
No one else in my family followed horse racing - it was something Grandpa and I shared. Some of my fondest memories are of us watching (televised) races together.

Grandpa and Grandma retired to Arkansas (near Oaklawn) and I eventually moved to California, then back to Michigan, but we always touched base during Derby Week to share our picks and predictions.

Grandpa passed away a few days after last year's race. But that hasn't kept me from sharing my pick with him. It IS tradition, after all, and isn't that what The Derby is all about?

I think his money would be on Archarcharch - he always loved the Arkansas Derby winners.

I like Brilliant Speed myself - it's that Dynaformer connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment