Friday, May 1, 2009

Derby Double


One of my guest bloggers from this month, Kimberly Kelly Santini, each year paints horses instead of dogs for Derby Week. Earlier in the week, Kim issued a challenge of sorts – that Friday we do a daily painting from the same image. It sounded like a lot of fun to me, so I dug up a selection of photos, and we nominated mutual friend Juliet Harrison to choose one for us. Kim put together a blog for the event: A Virtual pARTy. If you pop over there, you'll see the image we worked from; an early progress shot of my piece, and both our completed paintings.

This is 16 x 12, oil on canvas, and the subject is a yearling Thoroughbred filly named Peaker. She was always very friendly, and as soon as she spotted you, would come boldly over to the fence!

Tomorrow is Derby Day, but Friday is the Kentucky Oaks. I didn't get away to catch the race, but I had to look up the result, and was so happy to see Rachel Alexandra won - by twenty lengths and change! So now, I'm off to watch the replay. Tomorrow, Derby Day!

1 comment: