Tuesday, January 5, 2010

painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini

(I know it's not a horse, but this is what I've been painting as of late - all dogs!)


"Tucker(ed Out)," almost finished, 12" x 16" (so he's larger than life), acrylic on Raymar panel, commissioned pet portrait of a black lab mix, private collection (THANK YOU!). Inquiries (including booking your own pet portrait, from miniature size [4" x 4"] to larger than life) may always come to me.

Well, if it looks like I made a lot of progress on Tucker's painting, I did. I was motivated and inspired to paint like the wind today, and went to the easel as soon as the sleep was out of my eyes. I put in quite a marathon, consequently skipping all paperwork and computer tasks this morning! My muse had shown up, and I wasn't letting her leave without proof of her visit.

My favorite part of this painting? Tucker's paw and leg carry a hint of green from romping in freshly mown grass, the face reflects the warmth of the decking, while the top of his head carries a hint of blue reflected from the sky.

Now this image is off to my clients for their approval. I'll also spend more time with Tucker (upsidedown and through a mirror), looking for minor tweaks and adjustments, before varnishing and sending him homeward.

I'm looking for some models - black and white, or all black or all white. If you think your furred friend would look good in paint, shoot me an email and we'll talk about it!

Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork with your friends and family.
Kim

SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year (2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years (2008). If you would like your copy personalized, order them through me.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Martha

    http://smallpet.info

    ReplyDelete