Friday, August 20, 2010

Red, At the Fence ~~ Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini

WORK IN PROCESS: "Red, At the Fence," 16" x 20", Golden Open Acrylics on a 2" cradeled Ampersand Gessobord, commissioned painting. I might change this title to "Wide Open Skies" - what do you think the title should be?

A few weeks back, I worked up a number of different compositional ideas for my client. The idea was to use color in an equine composition that evoked the landscape.

This was the concept she chose, with my assignment being to brighten the colors and eliminate the majority of the fencerow along with the halter.

So this is my progress after a day's work. I started with bright, saturated color, and am laying translucent glazes overtop, gradually bringing the saturation down while enhancing the subtleties and nuances of color. There's still a little bit of of ways to go, especially in properly capturing the fall of light across his withers/shoulders. But the layers of paint were getting a little gummy, and I decided to take a break and allow the entire surface to dry before working any further.

Inquiries may always come to me. I am a few days behind in emails, but will reply to you as soon as humanly possible!

Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork and musings with your friends and family.
Kim

TWITTER: ksantini
SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year (2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years (2008). If you would like your copy personalized, order them through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment