Wednesday, September 5, 2012

ArtPrize & Cherish -- Kimberly Kelly Santini

 

I cannot believe it's nearly here!

 
ArtPrize opens in a matter of weeks, and the final preparations have begun. Elizabeth St Hilaire Nelson and I are delivering our work to the MVP Metro Club in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan on September 19th.

 
My "Cherish" series will compliment her "Noah's Ark" pieces, along with a pairing of koi and bunnies that we created in our own style specifically for ArtPrize. (Pictured above is my "Flopsy Bunny," a 9" x 12" portrait on panel, which will be joined in Grand Rapids by Elizabeth's "Flopsy.")

 
There will be over 1500 artists showing their work within a 3 square mile area of Grand Rapids. In addition to juried prizes, the viewing public will choose award winners via texted votes, a la American Idol style. It promises to be exciting and inspiring for both artists and visitors.
 

For more information, visit the ArtPrize website. And stay tuned to my newsletters and blog for details specific to our installation.
 

Fondly,
Kim, who is trying to dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s related to ArtPrize without losing - or at least misplacing - her head

Cherish


My idea was simple: I wanted to paint the bond we share with our pets. Not just their likenesses, which I did already pretty much every day as part of my regular portraiture. No, this time I wanted paintings that transcended mere likenesses and became something else - a moment in time or a particular shared emotion - that was universal.
 

While the initial idea was to create these paintings specifically for ArtPrize, along the way I discovered far more muses and content than I had time to adequately explore. So yes, the series will continue. And yes, you can still submit your companion animal more info on that is here).

 
You can view my muses here - be sure to page through the photos, because the captions on those whom I've already painted will contain links to their portraits.

 
And thank you, as always, for supporting my ideas, my art, and my livlihood.


No comments:

Post a Comment