Friday, February 5, 2010

Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini



Untitled, from the Saratoga Series, 6" x 8", acrylic on Raymar panel, depicting Thoroughbreds and their jockeys on the track at Saratoga in New York, $349 to the first one who asks nicely. I know there's a great title here, but I'll be darned if I can think of it - suggestions welcomed! Your ideas (including inquiries about commissioned projects) may come straight to me.

There's something about the pagentry and color of horse racing, which aside from the beasts themselves, is mesmerizing. I wanted to capture a sliver of that with this composition - the jockeys and their mounts became a simple excuse for daubs of color. Color is such fun.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there sits the power of black and white. I want to share with you a portrait of that my friend and uber talented Sheona Hamilton-Grant (aka The Graphite Queen) did of Finnigan. The drawing is due to arrive any day now. I'm getting a small taste of the anticipation and excitement you all go through while waiting for your paintings to arrive home.

Stay warm and safe this weekend - this latest winter storm is missing us in Michigan, but I know it's blanketing many others in the Dog a Day famiy.
Kim

SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year (2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years (2008). If you would like your copy personalized, order them through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment