Friday, March 5, 2010

Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini


"Checkered Silks," from the Saratoga Series, 8" x 10", acrylic on Ampersand Gessoboard, depicting racehorses in the paddock at Saratoga, $499 to the first one asking nicely. Inquiries (including booking commissioned artwork from miniature size [4" x 4"] to larger than life) may always come to me.


The sunshine we've had the last couple days has made me want more. After a gray winter, I am so ready for snow to melt and the light to bounce off a green lawn and flood the house. Of course, that also means windows must be washed and spring cleaning is around the corner, but I'll just ignore that part.


So today (well, in all honesty, yesterday is when I started this painting) I worked on this scene from the paddock at Saratoga Race Course in New York. The reference photo was from a rainy afternoon (hence the jocks' rain gear - I don't know what their breeches are called but I'm sure someone will tell me), however I amped the contrast a little so as to provide a glimmer of sun as the storms clear.


And, as always happens with my artwork, once I scan or photograph a painting, I see a few changes I'd like to make. I'll sit with this piece for a couple days and see what else it tells me. But so far, I'm very happy with it.


Thanks, as always, for looking at - and sharing - my artwork with your friends and family.
Kim


SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year (2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years (2008). If you would like your copy personalized,order them through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment