Friday, February 28, 2014

Luna, by Kimberly Santini


"Luna," 7" x 12", acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting a stunning paint horse, in process photos here. Thank you Maggie Weakley (friend and fellow artist) for sharing your muse with me. $499, inquiries may come to me.

I know I've always preached that black paint can be a crutch. And I've never used it. 

Then Robert Genn called it the Queen of Color. And friend and mentor Vianna Szabo told me she was using it in her new limited palette (and she's taking a group to Italy to paint, in case you are interested).

I was already painting black and white horses, falling in love with the abstractions of their markings and the play of light. The next step was to push the boundary even further and eliminate the middle ground.

Hence The Luna Series has been born. There's another Luna piece in process on the studio Facebook page. And one in my head, ready to spill out. And more in the works.

Black CAN be a powerful tool when used in moderation and tinted with strong blues and reds.

I love making new discoveries!

Thanks for following along,
Kim
ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment