Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Quiet Moment on the Training Track


While racing scenes are always exciting, I think I enjoy portraying the quieter moments on the backstretch best. I took photos of this Thoroughbred and rider one morning at Woodbine when I was filling in for my trainer friend while she took some time off. Often a rider will "back up" before galloping - this just means he or she will jog the horse on the outside rail going the "wrong" way (clockwise) to warm up. After backing up it's customary to turn the horse in to face the infield and stand a moment before carrying on with the morning gallop. This horse looked relaxed but ready to proceed. There's something magical about the light this time of day. Mornings at the track are filled with hope and promise.

This painting is an 18 x 14 oil on Raphael linen board. It was the first oil I did on this surface, and I quickly fell in love! The original is framed and available for sale, and giclée reproductions can also be ordered. For more information, just visit my website, or send me an email. The working title for this piece was "Pause" but I'm not sure it has stuck yet. If you have any thoughts or ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

If you're interested in seeing some of the progress shots of this painting, have a look on my blog. You might have to go back a few months. As a bonus, I've got some pretty cute foal photos up there as well!

Linda Shantz

No comments:

Post a Comment