Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Study in graphite of a horses' leg.

Here's "Elbow Room".
The wee story behind this drawing is the direct result of Albert Camus' fantastic quote "freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better".

SO, I decided to take a (well needed) break from commission and exhibition work, let go of the various pressures and see what my mind would give me.
I became deaf to "what might be nice to draw" and set myself instead a biggish technical challenge.
How do you or rather how would I give a vertical line energy?

"Elbow Room" is taken from reference photos I have had (stashed away in both my mind and studio) for over 7 years. This is the foreleg of a Rh.D. Kaltblutt stallion stationed at the Warendorf National Stud (Landgestuet Warendorf) .
I used pencil (2B & 6B) for the entire drawing. The shadow on the left leg is "glazed" over with loose charcoal (6B).

You can see more of my work at www.sheonahamiltongrant.com or  behind the scenes information at my blog "Black on Grey on White" 



3 comments:

  1. I love this sketch of the leg - it is truly lovely and in fact has such movement and action. I love that you decided to focus just on the leg and hoof - the tight cropped shot adds to its power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what Gina said in her comment. This horse art has a great feeling of power. Thank you for posting it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Zooming in sometimes brings out so much more than expected. Elbow Room is a real case of "less is more". Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete