Friday, May 1, 2009

Snowy Greetings - a Derby Week painting by Kimberly Kelly Santini

"Snowy Greetings," 12" square, chestnut Thoroughbred filly portrait, acrylic on canvasboard, $529 to the first taker. This is a tough piece to photograph - with the amped contrast and saturated complimentary colors, my camera didn't know what to do.  I may try to scan portions of the painting and piece it together in photoshop, but meanwhile inquiries may come to me.

This little lady was half of today's Kentucky Derby pARTy - Linda Shantz will be presenting the other half later today. This is what a "pARTy" is = we are both painting from the same reference photo.

I didn't think to take progress shots of my painting, but will do so next time. But Linda's painting is here and you can view her process as it unfolds. I'll add my image to the site later today.

How did this piece come together? Well I started out with a violet underpainting (the compliment of orange), and pretty much had the drifts and swaths of snow painted in the first pass. Then I sketched in the rough shape of the filly, and working from general to specific, gradually laid down smaller and smaller layers of paint.

We are having so much fun with this pARTy that we are considering doing this regularly and opening it up to any artists who wish to participate. Stay tuned....

Thanks for sharing Derby Week with me - I hope you enjoyed our venture into all things equine. I promise dogs next week, and maybe a cat, too, just for good measure.

Enjoy your weekend - hope it includes a couple minutes watching the Run for the Roses!

See you Monday, Kim Santini

ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment