Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Golden day

As a newly "born again" photographer (using photography as my main art medium now, after years of it being in a "supporting" role in my work) I have come to a new appreciation of the qualities of light that I am presented with at varying times of year. I  live in the Canadian prairies, and this year has been uncharacteristically warm and snowless, so the light I can capture is different to what would be the norm for late November and early December. Days end early up here (sunset is shortly after 4:30) but with a beautifully mellow golden character which would be absent if we had our usual snow cover. 

Last week I was driving home from an outing in the countryside when I came across these two young Belgians in a field. They had beautiful plush coats, all ready for the cold weather that will doubtless appear one of these days. I got a series of shots of them as they checked me out to see what I was up to. I have reworked the original in Photoshop to make it look a bit softer and more painterly, and have enhanced the tones of the warm light. There are quite a few other things I would like to do to enhance this photo, but I am working between two computers for the moment and the new one (that this shot is downloaded into) doesn't have my graphics tablet attached to it, so I don't have the ability to "fine-tune" the image the way I would like to. Be that as it may, I'm happy with this version the way it is. 

All my photo images are for sale. You can email me  judywood@sasktel.net  with any inquiries or to order. Prices are $40 for an 8" x 10" matted to 11" x 14", and $60 for an 11" x 14" photo matted to 16" x 20". You can see more photos on my home blog http://judywoodartphotography.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment