Monday, April 26, 2010

Painting a Dog a Day by Kimberly Kelly Santini

Derby Day was my favorite when I was a kid. After all, it was the only time of year that horses and racing were on TV upwards of 2 hours. And during Derby Week the newspaper featured workout times and grainy black and white photographs of the favorites - great fodder for sketching and musing Saturday's outcome. As a horse-hungry child in those pre-cable and pre-internet days, this was a big deal indeed.

And now (for the fourth year running!) I celebrate Kentucky Derby week by turning the Dog a Day's into four-legged paintings of another sort.

We'll start the week off with a Daily Double:

"After the Finish," from the Saratoga Series, 8" x 7", Golden Open Acrylics on Raymar panel, $399. Inquiries (including booking your own pet portrait, from miniature size [4" x 4"] to larger than life) may always come to me.

"The Tote Board," from the Saratoga Series, 8" x 5", Golden Open Acrylics on Raymar Panel, $339. Inquiries (including booking your own pet portrait, from miniature size [4" x 4"] to larger than life) may always come to me.

When I sorted through photo references and painting ideas last night, I narrowed myself down to 9 compositions. We'll see how the pace of the week goes, but I would love to work through all 9.

Feel free to forward these paintings and share with another horse racing fan.

Thanks, as always,
Kim

SHOP ORIGINALS & LIMITED EDITION GICLEES: at my Etsy shop
ORDER CUSTOMIZED NOTECARDS & REPRODUCTIONS: at Imagekind
COMMISSION A PET PORTRAIT: contact me
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE: contact me
READING MATERIAL: Preview and order each of the Dog a Day books at the publisher's website: The First Year (2006-2007) and That's 14 in Dog Years (2008). If you would like your copy personalized, order them through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment